San Antonio For Puerto Rico
Physician Volunteer Request - FAQ’s
Puerto Rico is trying to organize efforts to have physicians volunteer to travel to Puerto Rico to help patients impacted by Hurricane Maria. A flyer has been prepared with information about the conditions of the volunteer service. Following are some frequently asked questions about the volunteer conditions.
1. Who in San Antonio is coordinating this effort to volunteer to serve in Puerto Rico?
Carmelo Otero, MD: Cell phone – 210-383-1828; Fax – 210-615-6626; Email - firstname.lastname@example.org
2. Will I be paid as a physician to volunteer in Puerto Rico?
No, this is a volunteer effort. No physicians will be paid for their services.
3. How will volunteers get to Puerto Rico, where will they stay and who will pay for the costs?
Volunteer physicians must book commercial airlines to travel to and from Puerto Rico. The costs of travel, lodging, food and other expenses are the responsibility of the volunteer physicians. However, the governor will ensure lodging will be available for volunteers.
4. Will volunteers need a visa to be able to enter Puerto Rico?
The governor has ensured that all volunteer physicians with a valid medical license, under governor’s order #OE-2017-58, will be able to practice in Puerto Rico.
5. Does physician medical mal practice insurance cover services provided in Puerto Rico?
Each physician should check with their medical malpractice insurance provider as to their own coverage.
6. Where in Puerto Rico will volunteers be working?
The government in Puerto Rico will assign areas most in need at the time.
7. Will the medical supplies be provided?
In some cases, yes, and in others no. Donations are being sought to cover the cost of supplies. A list of needed supplies can be provided.
8. Are donations being sought? Where do I send the check?
Monetary donations may be sent to (please put Doctors 4 Puerto Rico on the Memo line on the check):
The Puerto Rico Heritage Society, Attn: Doctors 4 Puerto Rico
225 E Sonterra Blvd, Suite 201
San Antonio, TX 78258