Tuesday, April 18, 2017

CD 4 Rey Guevara

Candidates for elected city offices were all asked the same questions by the Bexar County Medical Society and have submitted answers to those questions as shown below. 
This information is provided as a service from the Bexar County Medical Society, but is not an endorsement.
BCMS does not make endorsements of any candidates for office nor of elected officials. 


Rey GuevaraCity Council District 42017 Mayoral/City Council Candidates Health Care Questions

1. Despite affecting everyone in this community, "community health and wellness" has not been a big priority at City Hall. "Community health and wellness" had one third of the ranking that "streets" received in community input via SpeakUPSanAntonio. Yet it impacts our well being, workforce, economic development and the prosperity of San Antonio.
What health-related areas do you think deserve increased attention, priority, and local resources, and, if elected, how would you elevate the discussion of these health issues at City Hall and lead effective action to improve health and healthcare in our community?
I’m very concerned about nutrition and nutrition awareness in San Antonio, and in District 4 particularly. Over the past few months, while considering what my role as city councilman would mean for my district, I’ve thought of ways to create awareness of nutrition options, goals, and resources on San Antonio’s west side. I would like to see city-wide programs in schools which motivate young people to evaluate the food they eat more  closely.

I want to motivate the healthcare industry in San Antonio because it is, obviously, an important part of our identity as a city and because it reflects and provides the most basic needs for our neighbors. I look forward to working with the medical community to have a stronger presence in our low income communities, and, while I am considered the anti-spending candidate in my district, I have always tried to make a point of saying that certain areas require tax-payer funding in order to uphold the dignity of the human person. I consider   healthcare to be a necessity. I am not opposed to spending tax dollars to expand health services in the  city.

2.  Bexar County is the primary source of funding for indigent health care in our area through the Bexar County Hospital District and University Health System. How would you, if elected, promote cooperative efforts to increase services and access to care for the citizens of San Antonio?

I am strongly opposed to increasing the tax burden on San Antonians. However, I hope to identify and curb spending enough in the city that more tax dollars are available to spend on important things in the city. In general, I support using existing tax revenue to assist the medical industry in awareness campaigns and outreach in the city. I am certainly open to more specific ideas and look forward to working together with medical professions to implement them.


3.  The disparity of health care between our poorest and wealthiest zip codes/districts is quite striking (Bexar County Health Collaborative 2016 report). How would you, if elected, reduce health disparities and improve health outcomes for our lower income communities/citizens?
Again, I think there is a need for a committed effort in raising awareness of healthcare services in low income communities. I’m a child of the west side. I grew up lower-middle class. I still don’t know a lot about my healthcare needs and how to address them for myself! This is why I frequently bring up the idea of awareness campaigns in schools. Kids should grow up with an understanding of how to address medical needs in their communities.
I’ve also been vocal about the need for new, modern healthcare facilities on the south side of San Antonio. I am hopeful that city council, with or without me, can work with the private sector to build a new hospital on the south side and motivate medical professionals to invest in the south side.

4.      San Antonio has a high incidence of obesity and diabetes mellitus and has been ranked as high as second in the nation for obesity in recent years. Past city efforts attempting to improve these rates, such as trying to reduce the prevalence of sugary drinks in our community, have been met with controversy. What ideas do you have to reduce the incidence of these  chronic  health issues?
I looked at my own issues with weight and identified my lack of knowledge of proper nutrition growing up as an issue. I also identified my lack of access to healthy foods as an issue. I grew up with these two problems and it formed a man who has no clue how to be healthy.
I am sold on at least one idea, which you have probably gathered by now. The government of San Antonio needs to work aggressively with school districts and local leaders on programs that will address these issues for the next     generation of San Antonians. Furthermore, we need to invest in grocery stores and places where communities on the south side can have access to healthy food alternatives.


5.      According to the CDC, child abuse and neglect are serious problems that can have lasting harmful effects on its victims. The goal in preventing child abuse and neglect is clear — to stop this violence from happening in the first place. What local policies, resources and efforts will you support to promote safe, stable, nurturing relationships and environments for all children and families?
I want to empower existing organizations in schools, churches, and other community programs that promote healthy values in our youth. I want to make law enforcement and social services accessible options for families and I want to reduce the stigma associated with seeking these services. I also want to help mental health services have a presence in low income areas and, again, reduce the stigma associated with seeking those services. I consider myself a young, modern and progressive man who isn’t tied to the prejudices of older generations, and even I caught myself looking down on mental health services when I first sought treatment for my depression.
The only way we normalize mental health care is to make a point of discussing it in public. As a person with diagnosed depression and as a person with family members who live with mental health issues, I believe I am a strong voice for mental health care. I advocate for it in my personal life, and I will advocate for it in San Antonio as city councilman.